Tuesday, May 12, 2009

On Pretend Tonsillitis and the Joys of Riding a Tandem

Dear readers,

I am finally recovered from some dreadful illness that made me hack up blood and check my temperature every 2 hours (yes, yes, I am a bit OCD) after it went up to 101 last Wednesday. Nonetheless I got stir crazy after taking 2 days off and hopped back in the pool Thursday and Friday for some easy swims. On Friday I was convinced I should visit the doctor as my left tonsil was the size of a small grape. My mother was worried I had the swine flu. Alas, it was neither according to the nonchalant Dr. Bhojwani who might as well have been a robot considering the lack of information he gave me. I returned home and kept doing the same things I'd been doing - taking ibuprofen, drinking fluids, and "resting," the only change being I had 20 bucks less in my pocket.

Anyway, I went out Saturday for a short run and an easy tandem ride with my friend, Kim, who I am guiding at the Chicago tri (she is visually impaired but you'd never know it from her attitude!). Only it wasn't easy because I was still sick, it was 35 degrees with the wind chill and I was wearing shorts. And riding a tandem is like driving a truck - especially if the person behind you is heavier! Before I rode with Kim, I practiced with another guide, Jane, who is about 6 feet tall and probably 175. Needless to say, we almost bit it on the first attempt to turn (we later discovered the second set of handlebars were loose, so that didn't help either). With Kim, who is a measly buck 10, the ride was a lot easier. Fortunately, Jane's husband came to pick us up 'cuz there weren't no way no how I was runnin' back to Jane's house. I couldn't feel my fingers.

I can't wait for the bike leg of the Chicago tri when everybody on the course comments on how "cute" Kim and I look. Apparently there are a lot of idiots out there who assume we're just riding the tandem to be sassy and sisterly.

No comments: